Thursday 1 April 2010

Tess of the D'urbervilles

My goodness this book was depressing. Although I was familiar with the general story of Tess, I wasn't aware of just how tragic her life was.

It is an interesting book, and it covers some important and sensitive topics, but at times it is just too bleak for it's own good. Hardy has such a wordy flowery style that at times just seemed rather repetitive. The book is quite choppy and didn't flow in a way that made me want to continue reading it. It wasn't a difficult book to read but I did find it far too long.

I never found myself rooting for Tess, she's so passive that it isn't until the end that I really find myself feeling anything toward her that isn't apathy.

I think it'll be a while before I read another Hardy. I have The Mayor of Casterbridge at home but I think I'll leave it for a bit.

4/10

No comments: